Sunday, January 06, 2008

RAUCUS CAUCUS

Our electoral process is a long and grueling event, and like the Tour de France, requires a strong game-plan, a great support team, and super-human endurance. Several entrants on both sides have already crashed and burned, narrowing the field to a well-backed, well-focused few, the pit bulls of their parties.

With the California primary just a few weeks away, I’ve made my choice. I am offended by political commentators and their incessant handicapping of the election in the media – I think it influences the outcome – but private citizens should share their choices in advance with friends, argue back and forth, try to change some minds. None of this don’t ask, don’t tell crap for me.

I'll leave the Republicans to someone else, just deal with the Democrats.

Bill Richardson is without a doubt the most qualified Democratic candidate. A multi-lingual former ambassador, he spent fourteen years in Congress, held two cabinet posts and is an experienced and talented negotiator. But neither his demeanor nor his toupee seem fit quite right. With the country in need of an inspirational leader he leaves me a little flat.

I came out for Barack Obama early. An excellent writer and a gifted speaker, he has that “thing,” that indefinable quality that makes people want to follow him. After Iowa the ball is definitely rolling in his direction and my guess is that he will get the nomination, but he will not get my vote. Not because he isn’t qualified – I think he is – but because he isn’t the most qualified. On the other hand, if he does get the nomination I won’t have any trouble voting for him.

Hillary Clinton is, as everyone has said, cold and calculating, uninterested in anyone or anything that doesn’t increase her chance of a win. Like her husband, she is very smart but would sell her soul to sit in the Oval Office. I’ll vote for her if I have to, but I won’t be happy about it.

John Edwards is our best hope to return to some kind of sanity. I am impressed by his character and sincerity, but even more so by the two planks in his platform that offer Americans the best opportunity I have seen to recover their freedom and integrity: his on-going opposition to corporate and lobby influence and his desire, expressed in the New Hampshire debate, to rid the world would of all nuclear weapons. Let's don't be telling others to get rid of theirs if we're not willing to get rid of ours. These are the two most important questions facing us today and he is the only candidate to address either one.

I will vote for John Edwards with enthusiasm and hope you will too. If you disagree, let me know.

a foot on either side

2 Comments:

At January 06, 2008 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely correct! Welcome ...

 
At January 08, 2008 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems stupid to leave comments when they never appear on the blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home