Friday, October 17, 2008

GAS

The price of crude oil peaked a few months ago at about $144 per barrel. At that time, gas at the pump was over $4 a gallon. How far over depended on your location. According to CNBC, oil is now selling at $71 per barrel, or less than half of what it was. Hmm.

My question is: Why isn’t gas $2 a gallon? Am I missing something? Because as I drive around town, what I see are prices hovering at about $3.50.

What’s the deal? What happened to supply and demand? Where are all those self-inflated, free-market economists now? I don’t see them around anywhere. All I see are signs saying: “Move to the forward pump - bend over - hold your ankles.”

And don’t bother telling me that B.S. story about refining capacity. That goes in the fantasy bin with Santa Claus, WMD, and Sarah Palin’s qualifications.

Far be it from me to accuse anyone of actually lying when I don’t have all the facts at hand, but it seems to me there are enough facts available to make a strong case. As my mother would delicately put it, we are being “screwed, blued and tattooed.”

Pass this around. Ask questions. Leave comments (I never get any comments). Rattle the cage. Quiet citizens do not a democracy make.

a foot on either side

1 Comments:

At October 17, 2008 8:59 PM, Blogger AK said...

It is supply and demand... we demand it and they get to choose how much they supply.

I'm just saying we aren't going to see gas drop below 3.20 because we HAVE to drive. The slow induction of alternative fuel sources is going to continue to drive gas station prices up since people will require less gas to travel the same distance.

Hybrids are shooting us in the foot. Not saying they aren't great, they are, but they aren't being introduced quick enough. They are slowly draining coming into the market giving gas stations plenty of time to screw us in the future in anticipation of us needed less of them in the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home