Saturday, July 07, 2012

HEADLINES

Do you keep up with current events?  I'd consider myself a newshound: I watch the network news every night, always have, my entire adult life; during the week I watch at least three or four hours of political commentary; I read the paper every day - not cover-to-cover, to be sure, but a quick scan at least - plus, I always read the Opinion page to see what both conservatives and liberals are saying publicly.  That might be a little over the top, but I genuinely believe that an informed electorate is our only defense against tyranny - not a great defense, but the only one we have.

I don't read LA EXTRA, the small, added section at the front of the paper that, I assume, focuses on local issues.  But I was up early this morning and there it was, so I gave it a look.  Here's a rundown of the headlines on the front page:

Former jail official tells of brutality - corruption in the prison system
Convict in fatal arson wins ruling - an arsonist (two fatalities) gets a chance to challenge his conviction
Video ties pair to pimp's killing, prosecutor says - a teenaged prostitute's parents seeking revenge
Parasite linked to risk of suicide - the parasite breeds in cats; the suicides are the female owners; I didn't read any further
Scott Peterson appeals guilty verdict - this is the guy convicted of killing his pregnant wife, Laci, in Northern California a decade ago.

I'm pretty sure this is not the information the electorate needs to build that vital defense.  There is nothing about the local economy, the bullet train, our crumbling roads, how the Affordable Healthcare Act will affect the Southland, or the coming election.  "If it bleeds it leads" may well be a time-honored tradition in journalism, but perhaps it's time to rethink that formula.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home