Tuesday, December 05, 2006

BALLS

It’s not easy, being the new guy on the block, especially when your block is the U.S. Senate. But some manage to do it with a little more dignity than others.

Incoming Senator Jim Webb of Virginia was attending a function in Washington, D.C. when President Bush stepped up to him and said, “How’s your boy doin’?” The president knew, as do most people who followed Mr. Webb’s campaign, that he has a son serving in Iraq, a son he deeply loves and worries about.

“Well, Mr. President,” said the freshman senator, “I’m hoping you’ll be bringing him home soon.”

The president was not amused. He took umbrage to Webb’s comment. Standing his ground he said, “That wasn’t my question. My question was, how’s your boy doin’!”

By now, everyone within hearing realized that the protocol had hit the fan. There was a sudden silence in the room. Webb, in an exceptional display of poise and backbone replied, “That’s between my boy and me.”

The president, understadably flustered, walked away.

Now that's balls. I’ll be looking for good things from Senator Webb in the future.

One foot on either side.

B. Louis Braverman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home