Tuesday, July 01, 2008

MILITARY SERVICE

While I deeply respect the men and women who volunteer for the military, risking their lives in war so that the rest of us can live ours in peace, it does not necessarily mean they would make good presidents. Retired Gen. Wesley Clarke recently started a firestorm when he commented that he didn’t feel Sen. McCain’s military service qualified him, per se, to be president. I’d like to agree. In fact, I do agree.

It should be pointed out that Dwight David Eisenhower was the supreme commander of the allied forces in Europe, an executive position to say the least, long before he was elected. He made a pretty good president. On the other hand, Audie Murphy, who was the most highly decorated soldier of WWII, wasn’t even a good actor. I seriously doubt that he would have been a good president. Patriotism and valor simply do not automatically translate into political competence.

I am grateful to Sen. McCain for the service and sacrifices he made for his country. If someone wanted to give him a prize for that I wouldn’t be opposed. I just don’t think the prize should be the Oval Office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home